Apply for Hallmark Registration Online in India
In India, especially women are more fascinated with gold for many years and gold is always a very safe and secure investment for Indian residents during tough times. Hence, to protect customers from adulteration and to obligate jewelers to maintain the purity of jewellery, the Bureau of Indian Standards launched a jeweller Registration Scheme. BIS introduced the Gold Hallmarking Scheme in 2000 & a Silver Hallmarking Scheme in 2005. It is the accurate determination & official recording of the equivalent content of precious metal (such as gold and silver) in precious metal articles. Thus, Hallmarks are legal marks used in many countries as a guarantee of the purity/fitness of precious metal article. The primary objectives of the Hallmarking Scheme are to safeguard the public against adulteration & to obligate all the manufacturers to maintain legal standards of fitness. If we see in India especially two metals, namely Gold & Silver, have been brought under the purview of Hallmarking. Are you looking for Hallmark Registration in India? Then, you are at the right place. We offer Hallmark Registration at an affordable cost & quick turnaround.
The ministry of Consumer Affairs has decided on the compulsory hallmarking of gold based on the Consumer Protection Act 1986.
Importance of Hallmark Registration Certification
- It rapidly boosts your business;
- It gives quality assurances to jewellery products;
- It provides customers satisfaction and builds trust among customers;
- This Certification adds value to the precious stone & trust in jewellery;
- Provide legal protection against any violation.
List of Different marks of a BIS Hallmark?
Old Methods of Hallmarking
- BIS Mark or Logo: his mark shows that a 3rd party or independent assessor has properly evaluated the decoration & validated the purity of a metal. In most instances, it is validated by one of the BIS certified labs.
- Purity Grade: There are two ways to know the purity of gold; one is Karats which is denoted by KT and the second is Fineness Number. So, the highest grade of gold is 24KT (purest), but it is too soft to be utilised in ornamentation or jewellery. As an outcome, a trace amount of other metals, such as silver or zinc, is added to gold to create long-lasting jewellery/adornment.
- Hallmarking Centre’s Mark: This is the Hallmarking License of the marking centre or 3rd party evaluator. The label is stamped in every product in the centre and is inspected for purity of silver & gold.
- Jeweller Mark: This is the manufacturers or jeweller’s mark on the metal article and each BIS certified jeweller’s decorations bear a unique jeweller BIS Hallmark Logo.
- Marking Year: This shows the year the object was labelled or hallmarked. The marking year is recognised by a letter of code assigned by BIS. For e.g., the letter A stood for 2000 and B for 2001 and so on.
New Methods of Hallmarking
The BIS has introduced a new method for marking jewellery and the new method contains a Unique Identification Number along with a BIS Hallmark and the purity of the metal. In 2019, the Indian Government announced that Hallmarking of gold artefacts & jewellery would be mandatory across the country. After fulfilling the terms & conditions of the Hallmark Registration Certificate as specified in Regulation 5 of the BIS (Hallmarking) Regulations, 2018, precious articles of gold marked with Hallmark shall be sold only by registered jewellers via certified sales outlets. The list of licensed jewellers can be accessed by selecting the state or region and IS Number.
Types of BIS Hallmarking Certificate
- BIS Registration for Hallmarking Showroom/Jewellers
BIS Hallmarking Registration is compulsory for jewellers to manufacture or sell gold & silver jewellery. Under the Hallmarking Scheme, BIS grants Hallmarking Registration to jewellers for the specified location. A jeweller who wants to sell BIS Hallmarked gold jewellery must first obtain Hallmark Registration from BIS for each of their sales outlets. BIS-certified jewellers can have their jewellery hallmarked at BIS Assaying & Hallmarking Centres.
- BIS Recognition of Assaying & Hallmarking Centre:
A Hallmarking Centre is a BIS certified marking centre or 3rd party evaluation centre where the purity of precious metals is examined & stamped. BIS recognition is required for centre and the A&H centre can apply for BIS Recognition.
Different Types of Forms for Hallmark Registration
|This application from is for the grant of a Hallmark Registration Certificate to jewelers to sell Hallmark articles.
|Application for Recognition of Assaying & Hallmarking Centre as per IS 15820
|Affidavit cum undertaking submitted by Assaying & Hallmarking Centre for BIS Recognition
|The renewal application of Recognition of Assaying & Hallmarking Centre as per IS 15820
|Application for grant License to use the Hallmark
|Renewal Application of License
|Fee for Grant & Renewal of Recognition of Assaying & Hallmarking Centre
|Fee for Grant & Renewal of License to Refinery/Mint
Documents Required for Hallmark Registration
The following are the documents required for the registration of Hallmark:
Proof of a Company/ firm establishment
- Registered partnership deed
- Registration certificate issued by ROC and MOA(Memorandum of Association)
- CA certificate (if the application is a proprietorship firm)
Address proof of company or firm
- GST registration certificate
- Income tax assessment order
- The sale or lease deed agreement
- Rent agreement with previous rent receipts
- Latest receipt of property tax
- Registration certificate issued by a state government
Proof of annual turnover:
- Copy of GST returns of the previous financial year
- In case the firm is new, an undertaking should be collected from the firm with an estimate of expected turnover and assurance to submit GSTR.
ID proof of the Signatory:
- Aadhaar-based verification or e-signature
- Copy of PAN card, Aadhaar card, passport, driving license or photo ID card issued by a Gazette Officer on an official letterhead
Procedure for Hallmark Registration in India
The following is the procedure for Hallmark Registration in India:
Step 1: Prepare Documents: First, we will help you prepare and arrange all the vital documents for the Registration.
Step 2: Filing of Application: Once we prepare all the documents, it’s our responsibility to file an application online for the Registration on your behalf.
Step 3: Inspection: Once we submit the application and documents along with the prescribed fees. Then, an inspection will be conducted by the inspector of the concerned BIS department.
Step 4: Issuance of Certificate: Once the inspector is fully satisfied, then they will issue a Hallmark Registration Certificate and the same we will send you through email.
Hallmark Registration Fees
The government of India puts forth various guidelines when it comes to mentioning hallmark fees, also called Registration Fees. It consists of the following factors, which are displayed under various categories, which are as follows-
|Upto Rs.5 crore
|From Rs. 5 crore to Rs. 25 crore
|From Rs.25 crore to 100 crore
|Above Rs.100 crore
Benefits of Hallmarked Gold
- Mandatory hallmarking of gold jewellery provides much-needed assurance to buyers about their quality
- It ensures higher exchange or resale value because quality standardization always leads to price parity. This increase the trading of gold articles.
- Buyers receive the necessary legal protection. Hallmarked gold/silver ensures they don’t get caught in fraud.
- By selling hallmarked jewellery, retailers lay the base of sustainable businesss growth.
- What is a Hallmark?
A hallmark is a mark or symbol used to identify the source or symbol used to identify the source or quality of a product. It is often associated with authenticity, quality, Ownership.
- Why should I register a hallmark?
Registration a hallmark provides legal protection and exclusive rights to use that mark for your brand or product. It helps prevent others from using it without your permission.
- What can be registered as a hallmark?
Logos, symbols, words, phrases, or a combination there of that distinguishes your brand or product can be registered as a hallmark.
- How long does hallmark registration take?
The duration varies by country, but it can take several months to a few years for the registration process to complete.
- What rights do I get after hallmark registration?
Registration grants you exclusive rights to use the mark for the specified goods/services and the ability to take legal action against unauthorized use.
- Can I use a hallmark without registration?
Yes, you can use a hallmark without registration, but registration provides stronger legal protection and benefits.
- Can a hallmark be changed after registration?
Changes to a registered hallmark can be made, but they often require a new application or amendment to the existing registration.