Get FSSAI Product Approval Online
FSSAI Product Approval is basically a procedure in which FSSAI, The food safety and standards Authority of India deems products fit for consumption / use in future food production capacity. The product approval by FSSAI is needed when the ingredients of the product do not comply with the regulation of the Food Safety and Standards Act.
FSSAI Product Approval Online System
The process of getting Product Approval used to manual wherein the application for Product Approval and a DD or Demand Draft for the suggested fee had to be submitted to the FSSAI Office in New Delhi. But, to cope with the increase in Product Approval applications and bring transparency into the system, recently, FSSAI introduced the FPAS (Food Product Approval System). The application for Product Approval can be submitted now and tracked online via the FSSAI FPAS Online System.
Which Food products require product approval?
Food products inclusive of food ingredients or food additives for which there are no standards notified by FSSAI will require products approval. However, recently FSSAI has tried to include many categories of food products eligible for approval.
Some of these include:
- Health Supplements.
- Foods for Special Dietary uses
- Foods for special Medical purpose
- Speciality foods containing or botanicals.
- Foods containing probiotics.
- Foods containing prebiotics.
- Novel foods.
- Products/ingredients which are new
- Proprietary products/ingredients.
Earlier Rules and Regulations for FSSAI Product Approval
The FSSAI introduced a product approval system to undertake a safety assessment of food products containing ingredients that do not have prescribed standards after implementing the FSSAI Act and the Regulations. However, continuing the product approval process for non-standardized food products or components was impossible without legitimate regulations. The product approval system for non-standardized food products/ingredients was discontinued on 26th August 2015.
To address the situation arising after the discontinuation of the product approval system, the FSSAI has introduced the following regulation:
- FSSAI revised the definition of proprietary food in the Food Safety and Standards (Food Product Standards and Food Additives) Ninth Amendment Regulations, 2016.
- FSSAI introduced the Food Safety and Standards (Food or Health supplements, Nutraceuticals, Foods for specific dietary uses, Foods for medical purposes, Functional foods, and Novel foods) Regulations, 2016.
- FSSAI notified the Food Safety and Standards (Food product Standards and Food Additives) Seventh Amendment Regulations, 2016, relating to harmonizing food additives.
- Even after introducing the above Regulations, several food products or ingredients were not covered in any of the Regulations made under the FSSAI. To regulate such products or ingredients, FSSAI introduced the Food Safety and Standards (Approval of non-specified food and ingredients) Regulations, 2017.
When do you need product approval in India?
Following are some points where you need FSSAI product approval:
- The current license owner whose product or item safety valuation has not been performed;
- Introduction of ingredients or products which are new to the industry;
- A proprietary product that needs approval before presenting to the market;
- If the product’s safety valuation was not performed earlier;
- The product or ingredients have not been used/produced in any nation across the world
Benefits of getting product approval
Following are some benefits of FSSAI product approval:
- You standardised examination processes confirm the minimal loss of time and regulation risk.
- Your brand will be highly public confidence as a product seller that is entirely safe for consumption;
- As the safety and quality tests are accurate and benchmarked to global standards. Even global customers will be confident regarding the quality of your food product;
- You will be profited by an enlarged network due to aggressive industry engagement across stakeholders.
Who can apply?
The manufacturer or importer of non-specified food shall apply as per the ‘Food Safety and Standards (Approval for Non-Specified Food and Food Ingredients) Regulations, 2017, to get the Product approval.
Documents required for obtaining FSSAI Product Approval
- An FSSAI license for the food product
- Demand draft, which needs to be payable to the senior Accounts officer of the FSSAI.
- Agreement of relation between the FBO.
- The information on the manufacturing process of the food product.
- The test report was obtainined from the national accreditation board for testing and calibration laboratories or international laboratory Accreditation cooperation.
- Details of any technology.
- The history of quality and duration of the food product or ingredients consumption.
- The regulatory status of the ingredients or food product worldwide.
- Business name
- Business address
- Brand name
- Method of manufacturing
- Claim, if any?
- Product’s shelf life;
- Pack size
- Serving details;
- Ingredients details;
- Phone number
- Manufactures address
- Product origin
- Country of origin
- Existence in the market
- Common name.
Procedure for getting Product Approval in India
Following is the procedure for getting FSSAI product approval:
- Company Incorporation
Basically, Food Product Approval is an intangible asset for any business or company and it gives the business with authority to either manufacture or markets a certain type of food product in India. In addition, each product approval is granted only after a significant amount of processing time and involves payment of high processing fees to FSSAI. Therefore, it has been advised that the Product Approval application is filed from any entity such as Private Limited Company or LLP (Limited Liability Partnership) so as to transfer the company or business easily at a later time with the FSSAI License (if needed).
- FBO License:
A FBO or Food Business Operator License is vital for businesses that are involved in the selling, manufacturing, or handling of food items or products. A copy of the FBO License Certificate should be submitted while applying for food product approval. Hence, it is advisable that an FBO License is obtained in the business name (if required).
- Test Reports:
The food Product Approval application shall be submitted with certain test reports from NABL accredited labs. But, the NABL lab reports are used to authenticate the claims, label claims, and other aspects of the food product. For the food product, the type of tests to be conducted will vary based on the product’s nature.
- Label of the Product:
It’s compulsory to contain a product label for Product Approval. The label may be a prototype and need not be printed. It’s vital to make sure that the food product label follows the FSSAI food product labelling standards in India.
- Submitting the Application:
After submitting all the vital documents, the application for Product Approval can be made through the FPAS or Food Product Approval System. However, it’s vital to have an expert while preparing & submitting the application.
- What is FSSAI product approval?
It is a process by which the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) evaluate the safety and compliance of a food product before it is introduced into the market.
- Who needs product approval?
Food businesses that innovate or introduce new food products or ingredients that aren’t covered under existing FSSAI regulations might need to seek product approval.
- How can I apply for product approval under FSSAI?
You’ll need to submit an application to the FSSAI with detailed information about the product, its ingredients, manufacturing process, safety data, and other relevant documentation.
- How long does it take to get product approval under FSSAI?
The duration can vary based on the completeness of the application, the complexity of the product, and the review process, but generally, it can take a few months to receive approval.
- Is product approval mandatory for all food products?
No, not all food products require product approval. Many products fall under existing FSSAI regulations and standards, so it’s essential to check if your product needs this specific approval.